Saturday, December 1, 2007

Computer lab weekends and marketing projects

I haven't written in a while because there hasn't been a lot to say. The past week has been devoted to working on a marketing group project. The project is developing a marketing plan to promote the sports management program here at ICMS. It consists of our written marketing plan (group paper, 3000 words), a 15 minute marketing pitch (once again, group work) and our promotional advertisement (we came up with a video....and it is no good). All of this work- none of which I know what I am doing although I became "team leader," at least I guess that is what you can call me since everyone refers to me for guidance, answers and tasks and I am also doing the bulk of the work- it is worth 50% of my grade in the class. The other 50% is the 3 hour, hand written short answer and essay exam. Uh-oh. I am trying my best here, but it is hard. Yesterday I was in the computer lab working on the paper from 11am to 4:30 pm and then today from 11:30 to 4:30. Not to mention the work that I did before we did before I even began writing the plan. And since I so proudly admitted that I was a communications major at the beginning of the term I am now writing the marketing pitch. Unfortunately, writing a speech and writing a pitch are rather different. It involves different objectives and a very different approach to the situation. Let's hope I do well because I would at least like to pass the class.
Other than that these next two weeks will involve studying for my finals, all of which are 50% of my grade and are cumulative over the term. At home I hardly have to worry about studying for finals because I typically already have an A in the class, and the final is not worth all that much. Here it is a different story and I don't know what to expect. I haven't taken a single test since I've been at ICMS and I hear they are hard. Grrrrreat. Eh, oh well. Beach by day and a little studying by night. At least I know that I can write complete sentences in readable English. I have to be a step above all of these ESL students. Seriously, I have been correcting the group papers, I know their writing is B-A-D.

3 comments:

Stace said...

You can do it! I know you have what it takes. You always pull through, sister. Just hang in there. Just a couple more weeks to go!

Dad said...

I agree with you big sister! It kinda reminds me of that Donald Trump show where they compete on certain projects and do advertising campaigns, etc. You are the "team leader"!! There is a lot to be said for delegating if you have a good team... Usually the test you worry about are the ones you do well on. It's the test you think you have down pat that sneaks up and bites you. I can't wait to see you! Love Dad

Insa said...

Amanda! That's just soooo funny! Just found your blog mentioned in your facebook profile and you know what...mine is exactly the same :-) well...unfortunately everything is in German, but the design, some pictures...isn't that funny?!? so looking forward to tomorrow when we gonna have our nice little Christmas Party and celebrate that the marketing plans are done!!!! and BTW you need to tell your blog audience that you did extremly well!!!! just read that you really wanna come to Germany / Europe someday...that'll be AWESOME!!!! we need to stay in touch! Have a good night :-) See ya tomorrow, Insa X