Friday, September 21, 2007

Wetsuits and Bandicoots

I’m starting to love it here. I think I’m hitting this euphoria state in which I’m constantly saying- Oh my goodness, I’m in Australia!!! It doesn’t really feel like “the Outback” or ‘Land Down Under’ because of the fact that 1. I’m in a major city and 2. everyone I see, meet and interact with is from a different country.
Yesterday we did icebreaker activities to get to know some new faces from our orientation. During the games we had to meet a lot of new people and I starting feeling really behind in my geography. I can’t begin to list all the countries I’ve met people from. I know I’ve made friends with some people from Germany, Sweden, Austria and Canadian Andrew, but I’ve also met a lot of people form China, India and the like. When we did the ice breakers I was introducing myself by saying “Hello, I’m Amanda” which somehow turned into my name being Ima-man-dA….and most people think I’m from Sweden. Either I’ve been hanging out with those girls too much or its just the blonde hair and blue eyes.
Last night we went to a local bar, the Shark Bar, where a lot of people from our college like to go. The first night we went I hated it because there was no-one there and they only played techno music, but last night it was awesome. They had a “live” band, which wasn’t really live because it was one guy with a guitar and a lot of back up tracks, but hey, I’ll take it. They played Sweet Home Alabama, Goo Goo Dolls, Guns and Roses, Bob Marley…a huge mix of American music and I loved every minute of it. All of the foreign students were dancing right along and knew the words, so that was pretty cool. What a bonding moment.

Today for Orientation week we went down to the beach and had surf safety lessons. The first part of surf safety was in a classroom and just about rip tides, waves and dangerous sea creatures. Not to mention what to do if we are stung by a BottleNeck. It’s sort of like a jellyfish but much smaller with one long poisonous tentacle. If it stings you it latches on and you have to pinch it off with your fingers quickly before the poison gets too far into your system. Great, with my luck I better be watching out for those bad boys!
After the classroom lecture we put on wetsuits and got on some body boards to head out for a “surf.” It wasn’t real surfing, but it was fun!! The first few minutes my body was in shock. All I have to say is thank goodness I had a wet suit. I caught a couple waves and it made my day! I can’t wait till the water warms up some. I don’t know if I’ll become an avid surfer, but I do think I’m going to enjoy it.
I’m getting ready to go to our Aussie Barbeque Party. Apparently they are bringing live animals…. Although the only animal I’m wanting to see now is a Bandicoot! It’s an endangered species and it lives on the grounds around our castle. They are supposed to be a little larger than a rat with a longer nose. When I looked at the picture it reminded me of Martini (the Chihuahua I had) and now I can’t wait to see one!

1 comment:

Dad said...

G'day mate. Sounds like the surfing lessons were fun. Although I would not relish exposing myself to the threat of stinging and biting sea creatures.
Can you email some pics as attachments? I would love to see the view from your room. It's another pretty day here at home. Trey is going riding tomorrow with Dorothy Ann in Evansville. We had a fun time at the reunion last weekend. I didn't even recognize a lot of the people there. I asked Lesa if she knew them all and she said no. I said just go up and hug 'em and tell them they look good!! It was good to see everyone and would venture to say it will probably be the last family get together like that... Aunt Mary turned 87 and she is the last living sibling of Granddaddy.

Have a great weekend and don't do anything I wouldn't do!!! :-) I love you, Dad