Friday, September 21, 2007

Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree



The top picture is the opossum! The next one is my wonderful kookaburra!
Me with an alligator and then one of myself in front of the boats at Manly Wharf- sunset time.
Have you ever really seen a Kookaburra? I don’t think I actually knew what one looked like. When I was younger and in girl scouts we sang the “Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree” song, but that’s all I knew of kookaburras until I started working at outback and we served “kookaburra wings.” Of course they weren’t really kookaburra wings and I never cared too much about what kind of bird it was, until today. We got to see a kookaburra at our Aussie party, and it was the coolest bird ever. Of course it had a trainer so it was not in the norm, but still that bird made me happy. It sat on my shoulder and everything. For a second or two I thought it might poke my eye out, but then it was cool.
I also held a opossum. Except for the fact that the wildlife man said it was a opossum, I would not have believed it! This little guy was so super cute and cuddly. The tail looked like an American opossum, but other than that I thought it was just a cute furry animal, I wanted to steal it. He was not at all ugly with the long nose and huge teeth hissing at me like the ones back in the states. I also held an alligator- no tied mouth shut and it had a full mouth of teeth, kinda cool.

No comments: