Thursday, October 11, 2007

Mentoring my Japanese Protege!

This week I had to start my course assignment for Managing Workplace Conflict with the famous McHarvard. My task was to find a first term student of an opposite culture (aka Asian) and opposite gender. You don't understand how challenging this was for me. She kept repeating that we must look at faces and find someone who is like ourselves. Well, I don't know many Asian males who have the interests and hobbies that I do. I finally spotted a very hip looking guy who is a little more outgoing and friendly than the rest. I tried to introduce myself and he said his name is Kyonei Wantanabe. Umm...I couldn't pronounce it so he said I can call him Kio. Sounds easy enough. Two days later I forgot if it was pronounced Kio as in Key-o. Or Kio as in KI-o. Oh crap. I'm a terrible mentor already. (Its key-o in case you were wondering.)
So, Kio and I meet up and he seems friendly and excited about the project. The only dilemma is Kio is 23 and he has a degree in Chemistry from Japan. We're supposed to be here to mentor about being a first time college student, or about ICMS and Australia or their major (because everyone here does management and hospitality etc.) Well, since he isn't a first time student he already knows about studying, test taking and writing papers. Since I'm new to this college I can't coach him through it, and most importantly, I do not study hospitality- how do I give him advice about that industry?! Ohhh my. This is going to be a sight.
Luckily the meeting ended up being successful. Kio is from Japan, just outside of Tokyo. He has a brother and a sister and is the "middle child" which I guess you could say I am in a way. Kio said that for a while after graduating he wanted to pursue an acting career. That blew my mind because as we all know I've loved acting and music. Very cool.
Then there was a bit of silence so I asked Kio what he wants to do with his hospitality degree after he graduates. He said he would like to work on cruise ships. You have to be kidding me!! I told him all about my friend Clint working on ships and how I've considered trying to get a director of communications job or something on a cruise ship just for fun while I'm young. I was just excited to think that I really did have some common interests with a random guy I picked out from Japan. I'll be having weekly meetings with Kio for the rest of the term. I'm not exactly sure where the discussion will lead, but I'm excited to learn more about my new Japanese friend.

No comments: