Sunday, October 28, 2007

Being a Sydney Tourist

Saturday Sam, Mike and I headed over to Sydney for our day as tourists. We walked from Circular Quay where our ferry stopped over to Darling Harbour. First we went to the aquarium. I don't know why we haven't been using our student discount more often, except for the fact they we aren't offered it everywhere, but it saved us a little money that day. The Sydney Aquarium is really nice with a lot of things to see. I loved the cute little platypus. I don't think I have ever seen one before, so that was fun. We also saw some adorable little seals and a huge shark/ underwater exhibit.

After the aquarium we walked into an Aboriginal store where they were about to have a free listen to some Aboriginal music. This guy told about finding out at 16 that he was half aboriginal and going to meet his father and grandfather for the first time and learning to play the didgeridoo. He played us songs with contemporary music in the background and attempted to "act out" the animals with his hands. It was an interesting show. I would bring a didgerdoo home if they weren't about 4 feet long and extrememly heavy! I'm already wondering how I'm suppose to get all of my suitcases to the airport and on the plane with me.

After the show we walked to what I was anxiously anticipating seeing for the last month- the Real World Sydney house!!! I thought it was going to be the coolest thing ever....but it wasn't. MTV makes it look a lot better than it actually is. The real house doesn't even face the harbour or the city. It sits in the middle of a kiddy zone with a carosel and lots of playgrounds and things. I laughed when I saw that. So much for all the big hype, MTV!

Finally we spent a large part of our day going to Paddy's Market. First, the market is in the middle of China Town, and the three of us were hungry. So it took us about 45 minutes to attempt and get out of China Town, only to realize that we had no idea which way to go for good food and finally circled back around to the one non-chinese restaurant we had seen in the beginning. Great plan, stupid American tourists! Once we got to Paddy's Market I thought I was going to be able to find some great deals and get some Christmas shopping done. Unfortunately the market is more of a very cheap flea market and they didn't have a single thing I was interested in buying. It was just a lot of useless, cheap, junk. The only thing I ended up buying was a duffle bag so that I can put the stuff that will no longer fit into my suitcase in there. Unfortunately I forgot that I am not on a group flight and will have to haul myself, a carry on, my back back, two rolling suitcases, and now a duffle bag down the hill, to the ferry, of the ferry and onto a bus to the airport. Hmm.... I better start coming up with a new plan!

No comments: