Friday, October 26, 2007

The Gondoliers

This has been a long and interesting week. Let’s be honest, it wasn’t the best. I talked to dad who has been, shall we say, a little sick lately. I was sad to hear about that and worried about him. I know he’s going to be fine, but it still makes me sad to think that if something very serious did happen to anyone of you that I love that I would not be there. Then I started getting sick myself. I’ve had a bad head cold/sinus headache all week. I haven’t done anything the last eight days other than class and sleep. It’s been boring to say the least. But my friend Sam knew I was upset and not feeling well so she was a sweetheart and bought me flowers to cheer me up. How nice of her!!
My Gerber Daisies from Sam:)
Finally, Thursday night came around and it was the night I have been waiting for. Sam and I went to see The Gondoliers at the Sydney Opera House. The Gondoliers is a comic opera and I was really excited not only to be there and hear the music, but also to experience a new type of opera. I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to fully enjoy it because of my sickness, but as soon as I got there that seemed to be the last thing on my mind.
When we first got there Sam and I took time to look in the opera house which was nothing like I expected. The outside is a beautiful architectural piece, but the inside is not so fascinating. It wasn’t beautiful or stunning. It was just cement and funky walls…nothing that special (well, it was special, just not what I envisioned. We walked down and ate at the Opera Bar, and I finally had the best meal I’ve had in over a month. I ordered a sirloin, and let me say it may have been “the best steak I’ve ever had!” Just kidding dad, it wasn’t better than your steaks, but it was very tender and juicy…I haven’t had steak since I’ve been here so I was in heaven.
(Sam and I inside the opera house. And yes, you've seen this jacket before. I don't have any warm clothes and it's still chilly here!)

After dinner we headed over to the gift shop and then up to the theater. Sam looked around and informed me that we were the youngest people there. Eh, so what if everyone else was more the age of parents, or more so my grandparents, I was at the opera and that was all that mattered to me! When the lights finally dimmed and the orchestra began to play I had chills all over my body in anticipation. The entire time I was there I was just drawn into the story and the acting. It was a funny show, and the singers were fantastic. The lead soprano had such an amazing voice. She sang a few wonderful songs and when she would hit her high notes the hair on my arms would stand up and I would think to myself “I want to do that.” I want to sing like that again. It definitely inspired me to looking back into singing at least for a little while when I’m young and have the time.

After the opera we caught the ferry back to Manly and I thought about how I could make this singing and opera thing happen. Especially since Dr. McHarvard has been making me do a lot of thinking about law schools and taking the LSATs which I may be doing next year. I don't know if I'd have time to work, do school, take the LSATs, apply to law school and attempt to be in the Nashville opera. Then again, all I've done in my free time here is think about my life and what I want to do with it. It's made me inspired to do much more than whatever my previous plan was...and let's be honest after changing my major three times I don't think I've ever been set on a single plan.

No comments: